Getting away from it all into the wilds of Herefordshire!

Living in such uncertain times feels draining.  We seem to be reeling from one change to another at such speed.  Even though I am very mindful about what I watch and read in terms of news (very little) it is difficult to not be affected.  I wonder if this is one of the factors that is affecting my immunity and health?  To find some balance and sense of wellness, I recently headed to Herefordshire to get away from it all.  It wasn't the easiest of journeys as I'd just been ill with a stomach bug which was taking time to recover from (although not infectious still).  But I knew I would be okay once I arrived, as this retreat was all about health and rest! 

Arriving at The Clover Mill in the torrential chilly rain wasn't the best start, but I could still see the Malvern hills peeping out from the rain clouds.  Clover Mill is a small Ayurvedic retreat centre, where people come to learn about Ayurveda, eat delicious freshly prepared food, do some yoga and be generally nourished! My accomodation consisted of a beautiful wooden eco-lodge with glass doors overlooking a stream and trees.  I could lie on my bed and look out at nature all day, watching the squirrels dash past, the robin hop by and the trees gently sway.  My phone had no signal in my cosy cabin, so any temptation to check my phone was gone.  I was now in paradise with nothing to do except rest.

The first morning greeted us with blue skies and the cheerful sound of birdsong.  My cabin had no curtains so that you wake up with the sunrise, which in early October is a comfortable time to stir.  With a herbal tea in my hands, I sat silently on my deck listening to the call of birds that I don't normally hear at home by the sea.  My only task was to walk along a winding path to the yoga studio in the converted mill for 8am.  I didn't even need to roll out a yoga  mat, it was set up ready to lie down and relax.  

The food served during the retreat was "Ayurvedic" which simply means seasonal, freshly cooked with spices and herbs.  During autumn, this would involve eating hot, cooked meals rather than raw salads.  Our first breakfast was porridge with some nuts and raisins which I ate outside, enjoying the autumnal sunshine.  Lunch often consisted of a warming soup, made from vegetables just harvested from the garden, such as butternut squash.  This came with freshly baked bread or crackers and hummus.  Our evening meals were three courses, with the first being a small bowl of a tasty vegetable broth, to aid digestion.  The main course was usually a bowl of vegetable curry or a type of Ayurvedic dhal called kitchari.  I was happy to realise that a small, healthy dessert also appeared!  My favourite was a kind of cheese-cake made from cashew nuts with lemon. The retreat was all about being nourished, and the food definitely did this. 

Each day, we also had some form of Ayurvedic massage, to help encourage the body to relax and restore balance.  I realised I hadn't had a massage for over two years, since prior to the pandemic.  Would I even be able to lie still for an hour and a half I wondered?  But of course I could and felt my body start to soften with the relaxing smell of the oil and a warm blanket over me.  I started to feel more connected to my body and how it was actually feeling.  Do I need a gentler approach towards my health I wondered?  Was I here to begin to find it?  My body seems to respond better to kindness and care rather than pushing on regardless of how I feel.

There was time during the day when we were supposed to "take it easy" to allow your body to absorb the goodness from the food and treatments.  It seemed a little strange to be resting when all I'd done was have a massage and eat lunch.  But I noticed that I was starting to feel a little better each day with more energy and vitality returning.  I discovered an easy walk that was within the grounds of the mill, following a path which finally led down to a stream.  I sat for ages on a log, just listening to the sound of running water, feeling happy and supported by this beautiful place and the nature around me.  

The retreat's magic was also helped by the incredible group of women that I enjoyed getting to know. And it wouldn't have been complete without Millie the dog and the chickens who roamed freely during the day.  Often as I sat outside at lunch time, the chickens would gently  peck around the grass near my feet!  I didn't want to leave this peaceful haven at the end of the retreat, but it has helped remind me that it is possible to feel well, even in difficult times.

 

"My wish is to stay always like this, living quietly in a corner of nature" (Claude Monet)

Comments

  1. Thanks Sue, that was a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds so relaxing, I hope I could visit there some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this, lovely photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading about your retreat and your nature photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautifully written Sue. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonderful week of nourishment at Cortijo Romero in Spain.

How Cortijo Romero, in Spain, is keeping calm and riding the ups and downs of the pandemic.

Coast to coast walk day 5. The last section, reaching the south-east coast of Kent! Walking to support Cortijo Romero in Spain.

Making a pilgrimage to lay flowers for the Queen and our collective loss.

When life takes an unexpected turn, the sudden passing of my father.

Swimming (and walking) in the snow while soaking up the beauty of nature.

How to get through Covid fatigue - have patience and rest or push on through?

Why is resting so difficult to actually do? A peaceful weekend remembering how to slow down!

The wonders of sea swimming during lockdown! And how to get the health benefit without freezing!