What a long, hot summer... and appreciating hints of rain and coolness finally.

I never thought I would feel so grateful for grey clouds appearing in the sky.  When I woke early this morning, just before dawn at 6am, I heard a sound I have recently forgotten... the pitter-patter of rain on the roof.   A light, brief shower that lasted less than a minute.  But it was something that will help our parched soils just a little.  I could feel myself breathe a small sigh of relief. 

Here in England, I have always taken cloudy weather and rain for granted.  We live in, arguably, one of the most grey countries of the world, where we can go for weeks without seeing any blue sky.  Iconic images of the UK would include misty, damp and lush green rolling hills.   Any summer trip would involve packing a raincoat and a jumper.  We know very little about droughts and water shortage that many countries face on a regular basis.  Not until 2022 that is.  During this summer, the pattern has changed.  Clear blue skies and sunshine have become the norm and the only thing you need for a day out is water, a sunhat and plenty of shade.  Rain has become something that feels precious and welcome rather than a familiar backdrop that we like to moan about. 

With extreme heat in parts of Europe and some unprecedented temperatures here, this summer has obviously not felt "normal".  Much grass is now dry, yellowed with dusty patches of soil.  Blackberries which are normally juicy and moist at this time of year are small and firm.  The carrots from our local organic farm are thin and small unlike our normal chunky looking ones.  It is impossible to not notice deep cracks that have now developed in the soil whenever we go out for a walk on local footpaths.  It is equally impossible to quieten the concerns about the climate and what we are doing to our precious planet.

I've started to long for rain and coolness in a way that the wilting plants and dry earth must be.  When the expected thunder-storm recently missed our corner of the country recently, I nearly cried with disappointment.  Even though I like the warmth and blue clear skies, my body does much better in shade with a cooling breeze.  And living so close to a beach in this hot summer has been challenging for my sensitive nature.  There feels like there has been no break from the cars, noise, visitors and constant activity around where I live.  I would like to say that I have been serenely calm, gliding around the beach all summer in my sarong.  However I have been prone to inner grumpiness at times while trying to "get things done" at home. It is definitely easier to deal with living in a very warm house while being in "holiday mode" rather than wrestling with a tax-return on the computer for example!  

When it all gets too much (regularly) I escape away from it all to find the solace and beauty in nature that is still there, even in the heat.  Yesterday we discovered a little wood nearby with footpaths that few people seem to know.  Instantly, I felt my spirits lift and my energy calm.  I had escaped people and found a sanctuary that provided the cool and breeze that I crave.  We took our time and explored, noticing how healthy many of the trees and shrubs are still.  Certain plants have been thriving in these conditions, and we saw enormous tropical looking dock-leaves growing along a dry stream.  Ferns were happily growing in the shaded paths.  We stopped to pick a small tub of the small, dense blackberries that I know will cook just as well as those juicier "normal" ones.  

I whispered to the young oak trees that the rain was coming again, that coolness will return, even though they will know this I'm sure.  Maybe I was reassuring myself that this too will pass.  Soon I will be hunting out my thermal tops that I've not needed for the summer.  There is already just a hint of a chill in the air during the early morning hours, and soon I will be able to slip out of the house and dip into the sea once again, alone and peaceful.  After this epic summer of heat, I will never take rain and water for granted again.  I send thanks in advance for the change of season and the rain that will come eventually.  And take a few breaths to help steady myself for what the autumn and winter will bring.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonderful week of nourishment at Cortijo Romero in Spain.

How Cortijo Romero, in Spain, is keeping calm and riding the ups and downs of the pandemic.

Coast to coast walk day 5. The last section, reaching the south-east coast of Kent! Walking to support Cortijo Romero in Spain.

When life takes an unexpected turn, the sudden passing of my father.

Making a pilgrimage to lay flowers for the Queen and our collective loss.

How to get through Covid fatigue - have patience and rest or push on through?

Swimming (and walking) in the snow while soaking up the beauty of nature.

Getting away from it all into the wilds of Herefordshire!

The wonders of sea swimming during lockdown! And how to get the health benefit without freezing!

Why is resting so difficult to actually do? A peaceful weekend remembering how to slow down!