Salty chips, sea-swimming and palm trees... more reflections about my recent trip to Spain.

Our recent trip to Spain was a major step in our quest to find some "normality" again.   As someone who hasn't even been to a large supermarket for two years, nor been on a train, it was a big leap.  But it felt good to not only dream of relaxing in the warmth of Spanish sunshine, but to actually go!  It made such a refreshing change from just "getting through" these difficult times to remembering how to travel again.  Now back at home with a terrible cough and virus (not Covid according to numerous lateral flow tests), I am still basking in memories of Spain...

My second week was spent in Nerja, a pretty low-rise town overlooking the Mediterranean Sea.  One of my dreams during the pandemic was to be able to sit outside eating salty chips in the Spanish sunshine again.  Somehow this represented normality and a sense of ease and well-being returning.  With a warmer climate, Nerja is blessed with more outdoor eating that you could wish for and to my joy, these terraces are now non-smoking.  Our first meal was seated outside a chiringuito overlooking the sea, where we had a huge plate of perfectly cooked chips to share alongside a Spanish tortilla and salad.  Not only was the food delicious, we were finally able to forget about Covid for a while and just enjoy the moment.

Having become an all year round sea-swimmer in the pandemic, my second dream was to swim in the Mediterranean.  One morning before breakfast, I headed down to the beach feeling both excited and slightly apprehensive.  I had heard recent stories of people being stung by jellyfish and strong currents. Fortunately I met two regular swimmers on the beach who reassured me that the wind direction meant the jellyfish were further out. As I eased into the clear, chilly water I felt a smile radiate from my face to my whole being.  I was here, actually in Spain and sea-swimming like a local.  I  had only brought a bikini with me, so the water started to feel cool quite quickly but I was happy.  It felt totally different to swimming at home with such a wide expanse of sea and sunlight reflecting on the turquoise water.

My third dream for my trip to Spain was to be surrounded by palm trees.  Something about their tall, textured trunks with fronds that rustle high above in the wind makes me feel excited that I am abroad.  I started to notice different types of palm trees and listened to the wind in the fronds as we explored each day.  This dream was very easy to tick off, with palm trees abundantly growing in and around Nerja.  Our hotel is situated in large gardens which contain a variety of  lovingly maintained trees.  One morning, to my slight alarm, it was the turn of the palm trees for a "hair-cut" which involved tree surgeons climbing up the very top of these tall giants to remove some of the dried, dead fronds.  It looked rather drastic but I could see how quickly they would regrow and flourish.  I had a moment of wondering if I could take one of the fronds back home?  Fortunately I quickly realised that the fronds are spiky and huge, far larger than my suitcase!

And then I remembered the reason why palm trees mean so much, other than the fact that I love all types of trees.  I have a connection to my parents through a shared love of warmer climates, palm trees and blue skies.  They had a passion for visiting Turkey and nearby lands, filling their house with endless paintings and ceramics showing deserts, palm trees and camels.  With the loss of my father last summer, I still struggle each day with the painful truth that he is no longer physically present to talk to.  My heart feels bereft and it feels hard to enjoy things without him.  But as we walked around Nerja, my father felt more alive and solid in my memories in a bitter-sweet kind of way.  I wanted to tell him stories of the Sahara dust that has made half the town look more terracotta than white, of the pod of dolphins that we think we saw and how amazing it was to be back in Spain after such a strange two years. But it was some consolation to find a sense of him, right by the palm trees swaying in the breeze under the deep blue skies.  And with this, a sense of my own heart, sore and grieving but still present and alive.

Comments

  1. Nerja looks so pretty and sunny! I enjoyed thinking about holidays as I read it, and it was moving to read about your father again. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this, and it sounds so relaxing with your descriptions. I can't wait to travel again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonderful week of nourishment at Cortijo Romero in Spain.

How Cortijo Romero, in Spain, is keeping calm and riding the ups and downs of the pandemic.

Coast to coast walk day 5. The last section, reaching the south-east coast of Kent! Walking to support Cortijo Romero in Spain.

When life takes an unexpected turn, the sudden passing of my father.

Making a pilgrimage to lay flowers for the Queen and our collective loss.

How to get through Covid fatigue - have patience and rest or push on through?

Swimming (and walking) in the snow while soaking up the beauty of nature.

Getting away from it all into the wilds of Herefordshire!

The wonders of sea swimming during lockdown! And how to get the health benefit without freezing!

Why is resting so difficult to actually do? A peaceful weekend remembering how to slow down!