Coast to coast walk, day 1 and 2 from Whitstable beach to Bridge. Walking for Cortijo Romero in Spain.

Doing a walk to help raise some much needed funds for Cortijo Romero in Spain has been an idea for a while.  As many of you know, Cortijo Romero has been a hugely important retreat/personal development centre for many thousands of people for more than 30 years.  CR provides a healing sanctuary where it feels safe to recharge, grow and rest in a world that often feels increasingly challenging.  It has been hugely impacted by the pandemic and has only managed to run a handful of courses in the last two years.  So while travel is slowly becoming more feasible and there is definite hope that CR will survive the ups and downs of the pandemic, it also desperately needs our help.

Having studied maps of Kent and considered a whole host of options, I decided to keep it simple and local. With the Delta variant still surging, I wanted to walk close to home so that we could travel back after each section.  I decided on a "coast to coast" walk starting from the beach near my house in Whitstable which is on the north coast of Kent.  The walk would then follow a lush, green valley heading south mostly along a stunning footpath known as the "Elham Valley Way".  We would then continue until we reached the south coast, to a beach known as Mermaid Beach near Folkestone.  In total the walk would be about 40 miles.  Just as I was preparing to start to first section in early August, my father suddenly died putting these plans on hold.

Not long before my father died, I told him about this walk, the route and how I wanted to raise money to help support Cortijo Romero.  So rather later than intended, I decided to begin.  Maybe it would be "good" for  my grief at the same time I wondered?  With my father in mind, two weeks ago I set off from the beach in Whitstable along the easy first stretch to Canterbury.  Walking along the Crab and Winkle footpath felt therapeutic, just plodding along from one step to the next.  Hearing birdsong felt like a small connection to my father and the rustling of the trees soothed my aching heart.  Before I knew it I had reached Canterbury city, such a stark contrast to the woodland before it.  Yet it is also a city deeply known for its historic pilgrimage routes with signs even today showing the way to the Rome in Italy (a bit further than I am heading!).

Day 2 of the walk was then delayed until today due to being ill after my second Pfizer vaccine, with the numerous side-effects lasting for over ten days.  Even now I still feel as if I am recovering from flu, so the walk was shorter with rest stops every 30 minutes.  Picking up the route in Canterbury, we slowly left the city along a road and path both known as "Pilgrim's Way".  I felt a sense of connection to all the walkers and seekers of solace that have passed before me for centuries.  Within thirty minutes we had escaped the city and were back in countryside, mostly walking alongside fields recently harvested.  At first we saw dog walkers and cyclists but soon we were alone as we passed some beautifully restored cottages and an oast house, so typical of Kent.

Needing another rest, we stopped in the picturesque village of Patrixbourne and sat by the small, historic church dating back to 1086.  We learned that this church lies on four pilgrimage routes and regularly sees Pilgrims from around the world (pre-pandemic of course).  No wonder the lady tending the church garden didn't seem surprised to see us in muddy hiking boots and munching a picnic!  Feeling restored from the rest, we completed the last section along clear footpaths to the village of Bridge.  I wanted to keep walking and stay out in nature away from "normal" life but my energy levels said to stop as planned.  Progress may be slow, but I keep thinking of the well-known phrase, "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".  Even though the distance to still walk feels daunting while recovering, by taking each step steadily, it is possible.


"A journey of a thousand miles begins with single step" (Lao Tzu)


To donate:

Cortijo Romero Just Giving Page


Comments

  1. "Beautiful photos Sue! You live in a lovely part of the country"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Just donated to your worthy cause but I would have done so without you having to trek!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonderful week of nourishment at Cortijo Romero in Spain.

How Cortijo Romero, in Spain, is keeping calm and riding the ups and downs of the pandemic.

Coast to coast walk day 5. The last section, reaching the south-east coast of Kent! Walking to support Cortijo Romero in Spain.

Making a pilgrimage to lay flowers for the Queen and our collective loss.

When life takes an unexpected turn, the sudden passing of my father.

Swimming (and walking) in the snow while soaking up the beauty of nature.

Why is resting so difficult to actually do? A peaceful weekend remembering how to slow down!

Getting away from it all into the wilds of Herefordshire!

How to get through Covid fatigue - have patience and rest or push on through?

The wonders of sea swimming during lockdown! And how to get the health benefit without freezing!