From a blog to a book! Contributing to an anthology of stories titled "Love in the time of Corona - Covid Chronicles."

"Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans" is a phrase that often appears on colourful inspirational cards and magnets.  I even had this boldly displayed on my fridge for a few years, in the extremely slim chance that I might realise the truth within these words.  More often than not, I rolled my eyes while opening the fridge as I rushed from completing one plan to the next during my very focused and busy life as a teacher.

During our long pandemic year, I have been forced to re-consider this phrase.  It could even be tweaked to read:

 "Life is what happens to us while we can't actually make plans".

I still find it rather surreal to be waiting on data, variants, vaccines and travel ministers before we can start to even think about making a plan to travel out of the UK.  But this is how the pandemic has gone.  My penchant for the security of making and completing plans has been tested so many times in the pandemic that I cope by making as few plans as possible and only a week or two ahead!  Either that, or I end up with tentative possibilities that could happen, depending on case numbers, weather conditions, restrictions changing, vaccine appointments etc.

But in the space that the pandemic has created while I have been prevented from making many plans, other unexpected things have grown.  I never imagined that I would swim in the cold sea all winter and become fairly used to the extreme cold.  It still surprises me that I am writing a blog, yet each time I finish a post it feels therapeutic.  In this emotionally challenging year, I feel proud of creating a blog that looks and feels soothing to the reader.  Adding photographs at the end is perhaps my favourite stage as I search for images to enhance my written words.  If I start to wonder if my life has been "on-hold" for the last year, all I need to do is glance down at all the poignant images of my blog and it reassures me.  Life is still happening in the present moment where ever we are, even if restricted to mostly our home and a few square miles.  Just as plants can grow in the tiny spaces between paving stones, pushing their way to find air and sunlight, so can we.

And now, another unexpected path has led from my blog writing marathon - a beautiful, heart-warming book in which six of my articles are included.  One of my stories was written especially for the book and I am delighted that it is the opening entry!  "Love in the time of Corona- Covid Chronicles " is its apt title and it has been released TODAY!  It is an anthology of over 70 people's personal experiences, sharing different paths through lockdowns and beyond across various countries.  The book has been entirely put together by Kalyani Sandrapagas, who came up with the idea to create something hopeful and connecting in such a difficult global period.  It was only through pure serendipity that I became involved with this book.  Kalyani and I share a connection to both a small town in the Alpujarras mountains of Spain and to my local area here in the UK, but we had never met.  Via the wonders of my partner's social-media (as I don't use it), my blog was shared, Kalyani read it, loved it and the rest is history!

Kalyani kindly delivered the freshly printed book to my house yesterday and I held the paperback with a mixture of excitement and reverence.  Having never seen my own words printed in a book before, I felt equally like bouncing around the house with joy and hiding in a quiet cave away from being seen.   The cover is in itself a work of art, illustrated with a painting by artist Rana Rodger titled "Hope Rising".  It depicts a rooted tree with nature growing abundantly, reminding us of the flourishing of nature while we have been contained in our homes.  The book feels nice to hold, a perfect size and wonderfully laid out.  It reminds me of the hugely popular anthology series "Chicken Soup for the Soul" containing inspiring stories based on a theme.  This is our pandemic equivalent birthed right here in my corner of England.

While I avidly read the first part of the book, barely able to tear myself away, I am struck by a commonality - the wonder of nature.  Whether we are living by the sea, surrounded by majestic mountains or pottering in our small patch of garden, nature has been a comforting and nurturing presence.  And it feels like a judicious time to be reading and reflecting on the last year, just as our restrictions in the UK are finally easing.  It also dawned on me as I read that many of us will have been changed by our pandemic experience in ways that may not be clear yet.  As the shops, restaurants, pubs and cafes open up once again with bustling high streets returning, I have no interest in anything.  The slower pace, spending more time in nature and the simple joy of bird song and sea-swimming are just too precious to swap.  Well, except for a short meander to my local cafe's garden for a salad while I can listen to bird song at the same time as savouring food that someone else has prepared!

To purchase your own copy of the paperback book (£10.99) you can find it at:

CPI Book Delivery, Waterstones and Amazon.  Amazon also has a kindle edition (£3.99)

Comments

  1. Well done! What a great project to have been part of and I will definitely be getting the book! x

    ReplyDelete

  2. How wonderful to read this Sue !! Thank you for sharing! It was none other than serendipity that our parallel paths crossed! I am so delighted to have six of your magnificent articles reproduced in the book for many more people to enjoy ..... They are truly inspirational and a a historical record of Corona times . My heart-felt gratitude to you for permission to reprint them in the book! Looking forward to these memoirs/articles of yours being published as a book. Much love and thanks! Kalyani

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Just as plants can grow in the tiny spaces between paving stones, pushing their way to find air and sunlight, so can we". Just loved this! So proud of you; published author! L x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and your words! That sentence was the last one I wrote funnily enough, it came to be at 4am when I was awake and thought I must put it in! So nice to know something I write makes sense to someone else! x

      Delete
  4. "Wow Sue! Well done!"

    "Well done Sue, creativity during Corona time!
    I’m sure you’ve been a great help to many during this
    peculiar time."

    "Oh Sue, what a joy to read this news! Massive congratulations!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Well done Sue. Just been reading some of your blog. Lovely. It's amazing what can happen when we put good stuff out into the world!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonderful week of nourishment at Cortijo Romero in Spain.

How Cortijo Romero, in Spain, is keeping calm and riding the ups and downs of the pandemic.

Making a pilgrimage to lay flowers for the Queen and our collective loss.

Coast to coast walk day 5. The last section, reaching the south-east coast of Kent! Walking to support Cortijo Romero in Spain.

Swimming (and walking) in the snow while soaking up the beauty of nature.

When life takes an unexpected turn, the sudden passing of my father.

How to get through Covid fatigue - have patience and rest or push on through?

Getting away from it all into the wilds of Herefordshire!

Learning about how to rest from observing birdlife on the beach.

Why is resting so difficult to actually do? A peaceful weekend remembering how to slow down!