Swimming (and walking) in the snow while soaking up the beauty of nature.

I think I might have got hooked on sea swimming, just a little, perhaps?  Last week I saw that snow was forecast and my first thought was "great, I can swim while the beach is covered in snow".  I have been excited for days that our little seaside town might get snow that actually settles on the ground rather than the mushy wet slush we've had.  I've not seen snow for years and while we are starting month FOUR of pretty much "lockdown" in this area, snow is beyond exciting.  It means I can have a mini-adventure right from my house and see the world looking all sparkly and white.  Snow feels like a change, a much needed break from the monotony and routine of these weeks of "staying at home".

 I was so excited yesterday morning when I woke expecting swathes of pristine, not-yet-walked-on snow.  As I opened the curtains, my heart sank just a little because the snow wasn't settling.  But there were delicate snowflakes coming down alongside the freezing winds that were also forecast in Storm Darcy.  I had already decided that with gusty winds over 45mph on the coast, it was a day for a wild walk rather than a swim.  With a camera tucked beneath my waterproof outer layers, I ventured out into what felt more like Antarctica than normal.  

Having the camera with me made me notice and appreciate the beauty of the clumps of snow that had settled.  There is something so incongruous about seeing seaweed on the beach wrapped in snow.  The warm-loving plants such as palm trees and yucca plants that thrive in this warm corner of the country were also sprinkled with white.  Everywhere I looked, there was another moment of exquisite beauty and contrasts.  Had I stayed indoors feeling disappointed about the lack of snow settling on the ground, I would have missed this adventure.  The snow was lightly settling, enough to still look magical on the sand, pebbles and plants.  As I turned back to walk home, in the direction of the freezing winds with icy snow particles stinging my face, nothing could totally dampen my delight.  And during all my time outdoors, I even forgot about the pandemic!

This morning, my dream of a white beach has come true as we now have definite snow on the ground.  By ten o'clock, I was wrapped up in my huge cosy robe wearing wellies, a short wet-suit and a swimming hat.  My neighbour who is an avid cold-water swimmer had already been in and was encouraging me (by text) and reassuring me that the water was 2 ℃.  This might sound cold, but I shrugged it off knowing that I've already swum in 3℃ in the past and been fine.  Sitting on the snow-covered groyne as I put on my neoprene socks and gloves while looking at the snowy beach felt both exciting and surreal.  I would never have contemplated this previously in my warmth-loving sun-seeking life.

I crunched my way over the snow, onto the familiar sand and walked slowly into the icy water.  A couple of seagulls were bobbing on the waves nearby which felt reassuring as they looked so at home in these cold conditions.  Fortunately, I seem to have become more "acclimatised" as the cold now feels quite normal and familiar.  It was the unusual swell of the sea that needed more attention with the strong winds generating less choppy waves but a long undulating swell.  This took me some lengths between the groynes to get used to and then I could ride the long ups and downs more comfortably.  During the last week or so, I've started to actually enjoy the swimming rather than using all my concentration to deal with the cold and breathing.  Today was the same, this was actually quite fun!  I stayed in for only five lengths and got out when one of my feet was really starting to hurt. 

As I dried off on the beach, with flakes of snow landing on my towel, I felt invigorated and not remotely chilly.  An interesting phenomenon happens after cold-water swimming, which is that for about five minutes my skin feels numb and I don't feel cold.  By the time I had reached home (very close luckily) and put on thermals and fleecy pyjamas with a warm drink in my hand I could feel sensation return.  My skin felt incredibly chilled, still bright red from the swim and almost painful as it thawed out.  But an hour later I was bouncing around the house feeling like Tigger who had just been for a snowy swim and found out it was quite enjoyable after all.

Most locals along our beach are used to the sight of swimmers in their enormous robes and woolly hats, who then de-robe and swim in all kinds of weather conditions.  This means that no one batted an eyelid today except for the occasional "you are brave" comment.  Even a different neighbour who has been trying to tell me not to swim in the winter has finally stopped saying this.  Why would you not do this if you are healthy, prepared, wearing the right amount of neoprene and you live 100 metres from the beach?  I know it is good for my health, immunity and well-being but it doesn't even feel brave at the moment.  It just feels necessary.  And even a little fun!

Sea-swimming in the snow on February 8th 2021- this is actually me!

Comments

  1. Hahah you are completely bonkers and very brave :) L x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L. I thought this would amuse you, I would much rather be swimming in a lovely warm pool at Cortijo Romero with you and others on a yoga retreat. But still, given the months of restrictions and being stuck in the UK's chilly winter this year, this is the next best thing!

      Delete
  2. Who are you, and what have you done with the sun-loving, cold-averse person I used to know? Seriously though, it's wonderful to read you sounding so cheerful! Nxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi N. Yes, it doesn't sound quite like the Spain-sun-seeking-warm-loving person that I am. But it just shows how adaptive we can be in extreme circumstances of being basically "at home" for nearly 7 months of a year by the time we finish this third lockdown. See you soon in passing out on a walk hopefully!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonderful week of nourishment at Cortijo Romero in Spain.

How Cortijo Romero, in Spain, is keeping calm and riding the ups and downs of the pandemic.

Making a pilgrimage to lay flowers for the Queen and our collective loss.

Coast to coast walk day 5. The last section, reaching the south-east coast of Kent! Walking to support Cortijo Romero in Spain.

Learning about how to rest from observing birdlife on the beach.

Getting away from it all into the wilds of Herefordshire!

Why is resting so difficult to actually do? A peaceful weekend remembering how to slow down!

Doing less when everyone is busy, busy, busy...

Coast to coast walk, day 1 and 2 from Whitstable beach to Bridge. Walking for Cortijo Romero in Spain.

When life takes an unexpected turn, the sudden passing of my father.