Feeling hopeful that some positive changes may occur after lockdown (however small).

In a recent survey, 54% of people intend to make some positive changes in their own lives post lockdown.  The survey also found that many hoped we would learn lessons as a country, notably valuing our local communities and caring for our ecosystem.  If we have been fortunate enough to have our basic needs met during these times (home, enough food and some form of work or income) lockdown has given space to reflect on priorities in life.

A common experience during lockdown has been a feeling of "less pressure" in terms of over-scheduled diaries.  In our achieving and materialistic society, we can all get caught up in the "more is better" philosophy.  This can include more work squeezed into evenings or weekends, more time spent on social media and our phones, more shopping, more trips away, more social engagements... It feels exhausting and never ending, always one more text or email before we can stop.  We can be so busy multi-tasking, we are not fully present in our everyday life.  Our to-do lists can take priority over everything.

No wonder lockdown has been a relief to some.  It has been an enforced time where priorities have had to shift drastically.  And through this process, I am hopeful that we might not want to go back to the same need for "more, more, more" and can find a better balance.  It might not be amazing news for the economy that we could become less consumerist but our "old" ways were unsustainable.  Could coronavirus actually help to shift us all towards a more respectful relationship with our precious Earth? 

The antidote to "more is better" is starting to recognise when we have "enough" in our cupboards or our diaries.  In yoga, one of the ethical guidelines is "aparigraha" which talks about non-hoarding and taking/using just what we need.  During my yoga course, we spent a month reflecting on how we can apply this in our lives eg not buying any new clothes for a month (or year), not buying anything with single use plastic, only using the car when essential.  Through our de-cluttering, charity shops were gaining barely used items and in exchange people's energy seemed to be increasing!

Using food no waste during coronavirus pandemicDuring lockdown, many of us had to adapt to emptier shelves in the supermarket and infrequent shopping trips.  I didn't realise how anxious I would initially feel about obtaining enough food.   I'd never had to consider a real human issue that millions face of getting enough food to live.  But months on, this experience has made me more creative in eking out what we have left in the fridge and cupboard.  We rarely wasted food before, but I have become meticulous about ensuring we use fresh greens first which are more perishable.  The parts of food that I would normally compost such as tops of leeks or cauliflower outer leaves are now used for pots of soup.  We've shared recipes with friends on how to make simple dishes with dried goods such as green lentils that were in the back of a cupboard.  I've gained a connection and deep appreciation of having enough food that I never want to lose.

In terms of busyness, the pace of my lockdown life has felt balanced in a way that has worked.  I like structure so I set out plans for one week at a time.  The difference was that I included a few things under the category "relaxing".  In my note book I actually write, "sit in the garden" or "bake gluten free muffins" in that section.  Normally, my to-do list would only consist of work or chores which feel productive as I tick things off.  Never before have I allowed a softer, easier category to creep into my week.

Was it that I knew in these times, that some relaxation was essential for my well-being to cope in a pandemic?  Now we are easing lockdown, do I need to get busier again, maybe stop some of these relaxing things I've allowed myself?  Or maybe I can accept that including some nourishing things, even midweek, is important.  Valuing my time in nature each day, whether walking or writing has made each day feel richer.  When I miss out these beneficial things, I feel my crankiness start to increase.

As our "new normal" starts to unfold slowly, full of uncertainties, it gives me hope to remember we can each make positive changes, however small.  I hope to hang onto the sense of being content and appreciative of "enough" and not always striving for the next thing.  And as coronavirus is still making it tricky to make many plans ahead, I have plenty of time to continue appreciating what I do have already.

Comments

  1. T. writes "Thank you again for your beautiful writing! The present situation of easing lockdown everywhere on this planet has come with many questions. Not so much about the virus but about the motivations of people to change the ways they consume."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. Your last point reminds me of when they talk about 'la dolce far niente' in Eat, Pray, Love. The sweetness of doing nothing is something lots of us are rediscovering. And what we see as doing nothing is probably when we're still doing something! Really enjoyed this - Steph

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonderful week of nourishment at Cortijo Romero in Spain.

How Cortijo Romero, in Spain, is keeping calm and riding the ups and downs of the pandemic.

Coast to coast walk day 5. The last section, reaching the south-east coast of Kent! Walking to support Cortijo Romero in Spain.

When life takes an unexpected turn, the sudden passing of my father.

Making a pilgrimage to lay flowers for the Queen and our collective loss.

How to get through Covid fatigue - have patience and rest or push on through?

Swimming (and walking) in the snow while soaking up the beauty of nature.

Getting away from it all into the wilds of Herefordshire!

The wonders of sea swimming during lockdown! And how to get the health benefit without freezing!

Why is resting so difficult to actually do? A peaceful weekend remembering how to slow down!