A relaxing "detox" birthday- no news or conversation about coronavirus allowed!

Just imagine, a whole day where you don't talk about coronavirus or social distancing at all.  Not one moment of sneaking a look at the latest saddening statistics.  Not one headline.  Nothing.

This was my birthday wish, which came true yesterday (Thursday).  I just wanted to feel "normal" and have a happy birthday as my cards say.  Was it easy to stick to?  Yes!  It was a relief to steer away from that topic and engage with the world without coronavirus being invited to my party.  Even a five minute talk or quick internet check can take me ages to digest.  Not on my birthday.  I'm going cold turkey. 

My second birthday wish was to have a walk somewhere different from my daily walk by the sea.  I know living by the sea remains a blessing and I can happily stare at the sea for hours each day observing the changing sky and wave patterns.  The seascape however is flat and there are very few trees.  And just for my birthday I want to see greenery and maybe woodland?

A short drive inland, we reached a quiet grassland area with an actual hill and wide paths.  Luckily not many people come here so we had panoramic views out to sea much to ourselves.  The area has been lovingly planted with clumps of trees whose steady growth we admire on each visit.  Our friend has planted a number of oak trees which are happily (and slowly) gaining height.

We paused briefly on the lone bench at the top (allowable as long as it is a short rest from exercise) to enjoy this vista.  Just hearing the rustle of the wind in the trees was incredibly peaceful.  A joyful skylark sang its own birthday tune to me from high up above our bench.  I felt indeed happy and soothed by these swathes of countryside.  Being somewhere different has done wonders for my mild case of "cabin fever".

My third wish was for a gluten free, dairy free chocolate cake which I made.  As some of you will know, I have a tiny talent for making delicious cakes with all kinds of healthier ingredients.  Normally I adapt a recipe I have found such as omitting sugar but adding a mashed up banana.  This cake included beetroot, over-ripe bananas, olive oil, ground almonds and raw cacao powder.  Topped with a soft dark chocolate layer made with coconut cream, it was as tasty as it sounds.  My partner said it was "incredible, your best ever"!  He doesn't have the best memory and loves most of my baking but still, I could tell it was good.

My only tears came at the end of this walking and cake preparing day because I wanted to share my birthday cake with a few friends or neighbours.  And I couldn't work out how to do this and still pretend it was just a normal day.  So while we finish off this more-ish cake hoping to not gain too many pounds, I am planning on another cake that I can actually share. 

Comments

  1. I love the idea of your birthday wishes, particularly having a news-free day. Well planned! I know that landscape too, I've been there with a dear friend and two dogs. We just spend the whole time counting our blessings when we're there. As for that cake, what can I say? Sounds absolutely delicious.

    Much love to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You would definitely have enjoyed the cake, next time! We are definitely blessed to have such lovely landscapes around here to find some comfort.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonderful week of nourishment at Cortijo Romero in Spain.

How Cortijo Romero, in Spain, is keeping calm and riding the ups and downs of the pandemic.

Coast to coast walk day 5. The last section, reaching the south-east coast of Kent! Walking to support Cortijo Romero in Spain.

Making a pilgrimage to lay flowers for the Queen and our collective loss.

When life takes an unexpected turn, the sudden passing of my father.

Swimming (and walking) in the snow while soaking up the beauty of nature.

Why is resting so difficult to actually do? A peaceful weekend remembering how to slow down!

Getting away from it all into the wilds of Herefordshire!

How to get through Covid fatigue - have patience and rest or push on through?

The wonders of sea swimming during lockdown! And how to get the health benefit without freezing!