Introduction to how to be calmer during Coronavirus crisis.

Is it just me or is anyone else feeling just a little irritable? More stressed and tearful? Not sleeping as well as usual? Or this strange “not feeling like myself but can't quite put my finger on it” state each day as I wake up. Then I remember, we are in lockdown. It's not supposed to feel “normal”.

My overly busy mind has been solving some of the practical details- from how to use Zoom (what is that?) to how to get enough food and stay well (hopefully). But it can't solve my real concerns including how long will this last for, will social distancing work and how on earth will I cope being at home for however long?

I'm normally a fairly balanced, steady kind of person. But I also love being organised, making plans and adapt to change as slow as a sloth. And this feels super quick. Like seriously, I was travelling by train to Greater London (seated by hundreds of people) and doing a course (even more humans) only a few weeks ago. And now we are here?

I need a plan to have some kind of focus to help myself navigate the unknown number of weeks at home (I am not a fan of uncertainty either). And this will focus on bringing some calm and kindness into this difficult time. Like a safety net, or stepping stones. Or a gigantic anchor. Whatever. So here is my plan.

Each week I will focus on a quality such as kindness. I will draw the theme from my own practice of mindfulness and yoga. Much of it will be off the yoga mat and meditation cushion into every day not so normal life. And I will write about my tiny steps that I take each week.


So, here goes.


Comments

  1. Beautifully written and it makes me feel calm just looking at this lovely picture. Indeed we are all rather ungrounded at moment, but for me it's been a wonderful opportunity to do different yoga class with a variety of teachers, all from the comfort of my own home. Sometimes on a glorious sunny morning i take my yoga mat outside and lie down and listen to the bird song whilst stretching - how blessed i feel when so many others are suffering or do not have gardens. Little acts of kindness and thoughtfulness are easy to integrate into our days and will help us all get through this situation and move forward to being a more conscious and altruistic society.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonderful week of nourishment at Cortijo Romero in Spain.

How Cortijo Romero, in Spain, is keeping calm and riding the ups and downs of the pandemic.

Making a pilgrimage to lay flowers for the Queen and our collective loss.

Coast to coast walk day 5. The last section, reaching the south-east coast of Kent! Walking to support Cortijo Romero in Spain.

Swimming (and walking) in the snow while soaking up the beauty of nature.

When life takes an unexpected turn, the sudden passing of my father.

How to get through Covid fatigue - have patience and rest or push on through?

Getting away from it all into the wilds of Herefordshire!

Learning about how to rest from observing birdlife on the beach.

Why is resting so difficult to actually do? A peaceful weekend remembering how to slow down!