Hope. Week 9. Glimmers of hope as we ease our lockdown.

Living by the beach in the last few weeks during our easing of lockdown has had its mixed blessings.  My fears have been realised about our little seaside town becoming busy with people and cars.  Relaxing lockdown during our sunniest May weather on record has inevitably meant numerous visitors.  My recent conversations while out on my daily walk with locals have been about the crowds and how to cope with the influx.

My perception of people adhering to social distancing has become somewhat skewed by living here.  I've been feeling some despair watching the number of people not social distancing.  Many groups started to appear long before groups of up to 6 were permitted from yesterday.  I have even been wondering about whether I want to continue to still live here with the anti-social behaviour that we are now seeing in a very small minority of cases.  It is really upsetting for a small, peaceful community.

Thankfully I hear from friends who can help me put this local issue into perspective.  Many people I see out on my daily walk or swim are still following the rules.  When midweek comes round, I sigh with relief as I know the beach will be less busy.  Miraculously, my small town returns to its safe, family friendly vibe.  And I feel so lucky to be living here while we are all unable to travel much further.  Being with such respectful and caring people gives me a renewed sense of hope.

Developing a feeling of hope this week does not mean I think we are near the end of our coronavirus marathon.  I feel as cautious as the scientists, who keep reminding the government to go slowly and check our R number.  I'm comfortable with the caution.  For months, it has felt as if we have had a coronavirus "cloud" settled over us.  The most pragmatic way has been to accept each day this is how things are for now.  Maybe it's a kind of caution to not be hopeful too soon, a kind of "be prepared" mindset for a possible rise in cases.

rays of sunshine through grey cloud hope during coronavirus pandemicBut alongside this, I'm seeing rays of sunshine appearing through the coronavirus grey cloud.  The cloud is still there, but there are rays of hope.  Initially, the easing of lockdown restrictions have felt more challenging than exciting.  But slowly it is dawning on me that I can now meet a friend in their garden.  Something about being in a private garden with a nice cup of herbal tea feels much more manageable than our busy beach!  Even though I've yet to have any invites to friends with pots of herbal tea at the ready, I can see it happening.  I might even be able to share some of my endless gluten free baking with people!

And the second ray of hope, just appearing on the horizon is that I might be able to see my dad, who is in a care home.  Not that restrictions have been lifted, but his care home has a very large garden with access from a footpath.  So we might be able to arrange a visit at the end of the garden for a short, socially distanced visit.  This hadn't even been conceivable a few weeks ago, but it is a ray of light that we can work towards.

I am still of the mindset that there is long way to go with ups and downs ahead. But I am appreciating these moments and glimmers of hope.  It makes a refreshing change from daily coronavirus statistics.  I have even managed to rekindle a sense of being part of shared humanity who in the main, are working hard to stop this pandemic.  The Dalai Lama's words have helped to not feel so despondent about the way forward:

"At this time of uncertainty, it is important that we do not lose hope and confidence in the constructive efforts so many are making" Dalai Lama.

Comments

  1. From N. "What a lovely read, and such a great photo. I am glad you are feeling more hopeful. The ‘easing’ of lockdown has indeed been interpreted by many as ‘it’s all over’, so in many ways I am even more cautious ( if not fearful )than before, as there was a certain solidarity when the message was universal and simpler. However, we have a choice to wear a mask, and I shall continue to do so in every shop as it opens. The good thing is we live HERE!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. From T. "In your writing, you describe so well what most people have on their minds. I can recognise myself a little in what you say although we do not live in similar environments, I understand your position perfectly because I have a house by the sea in Britanny and I am always glad to go there outside the busy season to enjoy the emptiness and beauty of the place."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonderful week of nourishment at Cortijo Romero in Spain.

How Cortijo Romero, in Spain, is keeping calm and riding the ups and downs of the pandemic.

Coast to coast walk day 5. The last section, reaching the south-east coast of Kent! Walking to support Cortijo Romero in Spain.

When life takes an unexpected turn, the sudden passing of my father.

Making a pilgrimage to lay flowers for the Queen and our collective loss.

How to get through Covid fatigue - have patience and rest or push on through?

Swimming (and walking) in the snow while soaking up the beauty of nature.

Getting away from it all into the wilds of Herefordshire!

The wonders of sea swimming during lockdown! And how to get the health benefit without freezing!

Why is resting so difficult to actually do? A peaceful weekend remembering how to slow down!